Prince’s is part of Kent’s great triumvirate – along with Royal Cinque Ports (which is just a stone’s throw away) and Royal St George’s. At the beginning of the 19th century it was decided that new links golf course should be built right next to Royal St George’s, in Sandwich, to be open for juniors, ladies and men. The Earl of Guildford donated the land which was to be the platform for the golf course; Charles Hutchings (1902 Amateur Champion) and Percy Lucas were put in charge for designing the original 18-hole track, which opened for play in 1907.

The course was commandeered by the military by the military during both World War I and World War II – it was almost totally wiped out by during World War II. However by 1932, Prince’s hosted its first open, with Gene Sarazen the overall winner – who would go on to become the first ever winner of all four majors, with the help of the first modern sand wedge which he had invented himself. The 27-holes at Prince’s are now used for qualifying for the Open Championship, highlighting the fact that it is one of Southern England’s best kept secrets.


Prince’s Golf Club is a classic seaside layout that remains at the heart of British golfing folklore.


After the destruction that World War II had had on the course, Sir Guy Campbell and John Morrison were given the task of re-building Prince’s, and amazingly they were able to save 17 of the original putting surfaces and incorporate them into the new 27-hole layout – the three loops of nine, named Himalayas, Dunes and Shore! The holes have a traditional “links and a half” feel, with elevated greens, undulating fairways, deep sand-traps and, of course, that infamous links rough.

Among the three loops of nine there is barely a weak hole and with the often strong winds making each hole a particular challenge – especially the 205 yard 8th hole on the Dunes, which can on occasion need a driver to reach!

The Championship layout at Prince’s is made up of the Dunes and Shore loops; however even though the Himalayas is shorter it is still a thoroughly enjoyable 9-holes of golf.


The Lodge at Prince’s is located adjacent to the club’s main entrance, overlooking the 13th green at Royal St George’s.


Since 2005 Princes Golf Club has been able to cater for fully fledged stay and play golf packages thanks to the construction of the dormy house style Lodge at Prince’s. This means that the top quality golf course is now coupled with top quality accommodation – making for amazing golf breaks!

When Prince’s Golf Club first opened over 100 years ago, the warm welcome was one of the main characteristics of the place – something which is still consistent with the visitors of today.